ionice in FreeBSD?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Thu Feb 4 14:12:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 01:31:36PM +0000, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> On 02/03/10 11:52, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> >
> >>So I guess my question is, 'why do you need I/O scheduling, and what
> >>aspect of system performance are you trying to solve with it' ?
> There have been previous research forks of FreeBSD to implement I/O
> scheduling; Eclipse/BSD from Bell Labs was one of them. It might be a
> good Google Summer of Code project for an interested computer science
> student.

there is actually some good and current code at

	http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD/
	http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD/geom_sched-20090307.tgz

hopefully should still be working on RELENG_7 as long as you refrain
from removing the scheduler from a live mounted fs.  I used it on
RELENG_7, with minor changes should work on R8/HEAD, and I hope to
come up with updated versions by the end of the month when i am
done with the dummynet rewrite.

cheers
luigi