Inmutable bit in some binaries

Jordi Espasa Clofent jespasac at minibofh.org
Wed Feb 3 12:33:18 UTC 2010

HI all,

I'm hardening one test box and at present I'm planning to do:

# chflags -R schg <file>

where <file> will be some binaries that seems to be common targets for
rootkits and lammers:

ls
du
ps
find
top
locate
strings
ifconfig
netstat login

I wonder if changing these files permissions as I've shown above will be
cause some troubles in future upgrade (recompilation, the classic way,
not the binary upgrade one) process. ¿It will?

--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.