terminfo missing?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 1 18:15:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

This has bugged me on a couple of machines but I've always attributed it
to some misconfiguration of mine: running curses-like programs under
"screen" (i.e. in virtual screens) fails with messages like "terminal
entry not found". For example, "less" does this, and "vim" complains
with this:

E558: Terminal entry not found in terminfo
'screen' not known. Available builtin terminals are:
     builtin_ansi
     builtin_xterm
     builtin_iris-ansi
     builtin_dumb
defaulting to 'ansi'

Looking at terminfo(5) it looks like terminfo should be located at
/usr/share/misc/terminfo/ but I have no such directory here. There is a
/usr/share/misc/termcap file.

This machine is relatively fresh, only a source-based update was
performed from 8.0-R to 8.0-STABLE, so I don't think there is some
package that does this.

Can someone enlight me about what is happening here?