Kernel probe order issues

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Mon Feb 1 08:51:44 UTC 2010

Whilst trying to boot a brand new FreeBSD 8-stable/amd64 kernel,
I ran into an unfortunate nasty with the kernel probe order.

This particular box has no PS/2 ports so I have a USB keyboard and
have removed atkbd et al from my kernel config.  Unfortunately, whilst
trying to merge changes from 5 different sources, I also accidently
deleted my HDD controller.  Quite reasonably, the lack of disk
controller made the kernel spit out an error message and "mountroot>"
prompt.  Unfortunately, this occurs after the kernel has switched from
BIOS to its own drivers but _before_ ukbd(4) is probed so I didn't
have any keyboard.  (Some experimenting with a serial console
confirmed that ukbd is probed after the root device).

This strikes me as undesirable.  Is there some way to bump up the
probe/attach priority of console input devices to ensure that they
exist before the kernel tries to read input?

--
Peter Jeremy