ZFS - moving from a zraid1 to zraid2 pool with 1.5tb disks

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Thu Dec 30 11:40:05 UTC 2010

Hello list,

I currently have a ZFS zraid1 with 4x 1.5TB drives.
The system is a zfs-only FreeBSD 8.1 with zfs version 14.

I am concerned that in the event a drive fails, I won't be able to
repair the disks in time before another actually fails.

I wish to reinstall the OS on a dedicated drive (possibly SSD, doesn't
matter, likely UFS) and dedicate the 1.5tb disks to storage only.

I have ordered 5x new drives and would like to create a new zraid2
mirrored pool.

Then I plan on moving data from pool1 to pool2, removing drives from
pool1 and adding them to pool2.

My questions are as follows:

With a total of 9x 1.5TB drives, should I be using zraid3 instead of
zraid2 ? I will not be able to add any more drives so unnecessary parity
drives = less storage room.

What are the steps for properly removing my drives from the zraid1 pool
and inserting them in the zraid2 pool ?

Regards,

dfl