Accidentally aborted upgrade via freebsd-update - how to recover?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Tue Dec 28 00:10:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 03:02:56PM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:58:28PM -1000, Clifton Royston thus spake:
> >On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 02:47:53PM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:
> >>On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:44:26PM -1000, Clifton Royston thus spake:
> >>If you haven't installed anything, there is nothing to rollback. A
> >>feature that is part of freebsd-update.
> >
> > I guess I should have realized that, at least.

> >>I'm not aware of any method to do this, other than to remove everything
> >>under /var/db/freebsd-update and start from the beginning.

  I started over but without removing the directory, and found that
after redownloading all the metadata, it DTRT: nothing more got
downloaded, and it apparently identified all the automatic merges as
already patched.  It seems to be starting over at the beginning of the
ones to manually patch up.

> > OK, and oh well...  I wish there were some way to automate the diffing
> >out of the $FreeBSD lines.  I suppose those might be the artifact of
> >some previous upgrade, so that the file version present is not the one
> >expected for FreeBSD 6.1.
>
> I believe there is with a handcrafted mergemaster.rc file. I was told by
> Colin that this 'bug' was introduced at some point with freebsd-update,
> as branches at one point weren't tagged.
>
> When they started to get tagged, freebsd-update started to compare.

  Ah, I saw that discussion a while back on one of the lists for
mergemaster, but I didn't realize it applied to freebsd-update as well.
Next time around, I'll revisit the email thread and figure out which
options I want to pull in to skip those lines.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/