Accidentally aborted upgrade via freebsd-update - how to recover?

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Mon Dec 27 22:51:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:44:26PM -1000, Clifton Royston thus spake:
>  OK, so I'm a late adopter - up til now I've always upgraded FreeBSD
>machines from source or picking the update from a CD, but I decided to
>try freebsd-update to finally get my home machine from 6.4 to 7.1 (and
>thence hopefully to 8.1).
>
>  Everything went well up through the merge steps, until I noticed a
>merge I had forgotten to resolve in /etc/hosts.allow, so at the
>"Does this look reasonable (y/n)?" prompt I answered 'n', thinking that
>would put me back into the editor.
>
>  Instead it dumped me to the command line and aborted the update
>completely.
>
>  How can I continue from here without downloading and applying 29000+
>patches all over again, not to mention having to manually resolve the
>updated $FreeBSD lines in a ton of config files?  (Or worse, having it
>try to apply patches which have already been applied?)
>
>  I just tried typing "sudo freebsd-update install" and
>"sudo freebsd-update install -r 7.1-RELEASE" but that gives me:

I've never run this command for a specific release.

> "No updates are available to install."

What happens if you run "freebsd-update install" ?

If you haven't installed anything, there is nothing to rollback. A
feature that is part of freebsd-update.

>  Is there some way to resume where I left off?

I'm not aware of any method to do this, other than to remove everything
under /var/db/freebsd-update and start from the beginning.

>  -- Clifton
>
>--
>    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
>       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/
> Custom programming, network design, systems and network consulting services

Jason Helfman
System Administrator
experts-exchange.com
http://www.experts-exchange.com/M_4830110.html