Stale NFS file handles on 8.x amd64

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Mon Dec 20 21:59:58 UTC 2010

On 12/04/10 18:39, Adam McDougall wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 06:33:06PM -0500, Rick Macklem (and others) wrote: (various suggestions)

I had to call off the experimentation with live users and resorted to
running all IMAP connections from a single NFS client for now.  I was
causing a little too much of a stir.  Here are the things I can remember
trying:

negnametimeo=0 (no perceived difference)

acregmin=0,acregmax=0,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=0 (slowed down imap but
otherwise no perceived difference)

stopped statd and lockd after changing dovecot to use dotlock (no
perceived difference)

vfs.lookup_shared=0 (no perceived difference)

dovecot 1.1 (no better than 1.2 regarding this issue)

Did not try (yet?):

udp, nfsv4, freebsd 7

I feel compelled to keep the users happy for now while I look into the
nfs director included with dovecot 2.0 designed to keep individual IMAP
users on their own server, so I'm taking a stab at the recommended usage
with newer software rather than more debugging with previous versions.
I may return to other tactics if the future path slows down,
I'm still curious why things changed.