The FreeBSD 7.4-BETA1 CD wont boot properly on this machine

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Dec 20 19:18:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:30:08 -0800
Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:

> This has, historically, been caused by problems with certain firewire
> chipsets.  The workaround has been to disable firewire in the BIOS.

Aha! That's a great clue. I haven't seen that particular problem before.

> I've experienced this on a Shuttle system, and others have on different
> motherboards as well:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/run_interrupt_driven_hooks:-still-waiting-after-300-seconds-for-xpt_config-td23492390.html
> http://old.nabble.com/-Fwd%3A-run_interrupt_driven_hooks%3A-still-waiting...-for-xpt_config--td23641548.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-July/009079.html
>
> However, that motherboard doesn't seem to support firewire (but Asus has
> been known to forget mentioning features on their site before).

It has firewire. From /var/log/messages under FreeBSD 8.1-stable:
fwohci0: <1394 Open Host Controller Interface> mem 0xfbdff800-0xfbdfffff,0xfbdff400-0xfbdff47f,0xfbdff000-0xfbdff07f,0xfbdfec00-0xfbdfec7f irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci1
fwohci0: [ITHREAD]
fwohci0: OHCI version 1.10 (ROM=0)
fwohci0: No. of Isochronous channels is 4.
fwohci0: EUI64 00:1e:8c:00:00:2c:b8:9a
fwohci0: Phy 1394a available S400, 2 ports.

So a quick tour into the bios to disable the firewire, then back to boot from the 7.4-BETA1 cd.
Yes, it works now, and while I have been wrinting this message, it has just finished installing.

Great advice. Thanks!

> Otherwise, run 8.x.

I do already, see my other posting in this thread.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen