/etc/rc.d/named stop (Was: Re: RFC: Upgrade BIND version in RELENG_7 to BIND 9.6.x)

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Dec 18 23:41:33 UTC 2010

On Dec 18, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> If you start named with the rc.d script it should do that for you.
>
> ll /var/run/named/pid
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  bind  28 Dec 18 13:52 /var/run/named/pid@ -> /var/named/var/run/named/pid
>
> Make sure you don't have named_symlink_enable=NO somewhere, for example in /etc/rc.conf.local.

OK, I have the symlink:

# ll /var/run/named/pid
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  bind  28 Dec 18 17:27 /var/run/named/pid@ -> /var/named/var/run/named/pid

...and I also have a stale /var/named/var/run/named/pid file; /usr/local/sbin/named from ports seems to be using a /var/named/var/run/named/named.pid file instead.

I'm using default launch args (which end up being "/usr/local/sbin/named -t /var/named -u bind") and not changing the default pidfile location in the named.conf AFAICT.  Tweaking the links seems to make rc.d script work as expected, so that was helpful, thanks.

Regards,
--
-Chuck