RFC: Upgrade BIND version in RELENG_7 to BIND 9.6.x

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 11:15:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 09:41:54PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Traditionally for contributed software generally, and BIND in particular
> we have tried to keep the major version of the contributed software
> consistent throughout a given RELENG_$N branch of FreeBSD. Hopefully the
> reasoning for this is obvious, we want to avoid POLA violations.
Actually not. My own POV is that we should follow the vendor release
cycle, and not the FreeBSD release cycle, for the contributed software.

I do not advocate immediate upgrade of the third-party software that
reached its EOL, but I think that we should do this without pushback
if maintainer consider the neccessity of upgrade.