RFC: Upgrade BIND version in RELENG_7 to BIND 9.6.x

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sat Dec 18 09:15:45 UTC 2010

Doug Barton wrote:
 > In order to avoid repeating the scenario where we have a version of BIND
 > in the base that is not supported by the vendor I am proposing that we
 > upgrade to BIND 9.6-ESV in FreeBSD RELENG_7.

I agree.

 > I am particularly interested in feedback from users with significant DNS
 > usage that are still using 9.4, especially if you're using the version
 > in the base. I would appreciate it if you could install 9.6 from the
 > ports and at minimum run /usr/local/sbin/named-checkconf to see if any
 > errors are generated. Of course it would be that much more helpful if
 > you could also evaluate BIND 9.6 in operation in your environment.

I already installed the ports' version of BIND 9.6 a few
months ago on two stable/7 machines that are primary and
secondary nameservers for a bunch of domains.  It was a
simple drop-in replacement, no problems whatsoever.

 > Your feedback on the issue of upgrading BIND in RELENG_7 is welcome.
 > Sooner is better. :)

I vote for the upgrade.  It's easy and seamless for users,
as far as I can tell, and it avoids problems in the long
run.  I agree with you that the situation that we had with
FreeBSD 6 should be avoided.

Best regards
   Oliver

C++: "an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog"
        -- Steve Taylor, 1998