[Samba] Samba upgrade HowTo requested

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Thu Dec 16 14:49:02 UTC 2010

Hello Peter,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 05:42:10PM +0300, Peter Trifonov wrote:
> Hi Willy,
>
> > Last weekend I decided to upgrade the samba server. We were running
> > Samba
> > 3.3 something and FreeBSD portupgrade was complaining that this version
> > should be removed and assumingly replaced by the newest version. I
> > removed the package via portupgrade and installed the 3.5.6 version. The
> Are you running  winbindd on this server? If yes, does it work properly?
> In my case it failed to communicate group IDs to the system, so I had to
> rollback to v. 3.4.9.
>
> > And specifically for FreeBSD users: How should we deal with an upgrade of
> samba via portupgrade?
> I have upgraded it many times before, and in most cases it was just make
> deinstall & make reinstall.
>

> With best regards,
> P. Trifonov

Concerning your first question:

No, we are not running winbindd, so I cannot tell you if it might work.

To your second remark:

Well, it might be that it has worked in your case, but certainly not in
mine. I do not know what happened to the drivers or database of the drivers, but
something was really messed up. I like to clarify this and to put it on a
higher level. I like to figure out what the procedure is to follow and how
we can inform the users about this procedure.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy