vm.swap_reserved toooooo large?

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Wed Dec 15 11:26:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:04+0200, George Mamalakis wrote:

> I was testing a program that would exhaust all my memory (in C++),
> and when this would happen, it would call set_new_handler() along
> with one of my functions that would inform the user about the lack
> of memory and then it would exit the program. Instead, the program
> was force-killed by the kernel (signal 9) and I was informed that:

If all your process' memory is exhausted, then there is no memory left
for the runtime system for doing I/O and the other stuff you want.
Next, unless I'm on drugs, maybe you should call set_new_handler()
before you actually run out of memory. Just my $0.02.

Trond.

Trond Endrestøl                  | Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
ACM, NAS, NUUG, SAGE, USENIX     |    FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE & Alpine 2.00