atheros broadcast/multicast corruption with multiple hostap's

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 13 08:49:57 UTC 2010

(I'm removing Sam from the CC: ; it seems he's not interested in this
stuff any longer.)

On 8 December 2010 09:54, Russell Yount <russell.yount at gmail.com> wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> Yes, I can help track down this.
>
> I have only 11agb radios though:
>    NL-5354MP + Aries2
>   5004 MP Atheros 4G / CM9

Which chipsets are they?

> The changes I made definiately work for these chips, I have 4 APs operating
> with 4 SSID each all configured with WPA2 using x509 certs. Currently, the
> kernel I am using is 8.1.

Are they using different keys?

Did you try WPA + AES/CCMP in STA mode with these? If not, would you
please do that?

> I seem to recall that the hardware abstration layer for different chipsets
> treated handling of multicast reception differently.
>
> Could you send me pointers to what problems are described?
>
> Sorry, I took so long to reply, been rather busy,  I do not check this email
> account as often as my others.

What would be a better account to email?

What I'd really like to do is write up a set of testing procedures for
doing things to the ath driver - in station, hostap and adhoc modes -
so I can test my local 11n+refactored HAL against it. If you've got a
working setup then I'd like to try and get that documented and
reproducable, complete with a set of tests for each to try and ensure
that as much stuff works as possible.

I'd also like to make sure that the AR5416 HAL as shipped in FreeBSD
behaves the same way as the AR5210,AR5211,AR5212 HALs as well. I only
have an AR5213 card here; the rest of mine are 11n (AR5416, AR9160,
AR9280.)

I don't know if I'm going to be able to get all of this into
9.0-RELEASE but I'd like to try. The atheros 11n chipsets are
everywhere now; I'd like to both support the legacy stuff and the new
stuff with all the features fully working. :-) Right now I haven't any
idea about what works and what doesn't.

Thanks,

Adrian