8.2-BETA1 sysinstall: No USB devices found

Michael Voorhis mvoorhis at cs.wpi.edu
Sun Dec 12 17:34:58 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 11:28 AM, Brandon Gooch wrote:
> How difficult would it be for the installer to automatically re-scan
> for devices when USB is selected as install or Fix-it media?

Ditto this.  I do all my OS installs via a USB CD reader and it took me
a little while to come up with the rescan-fix.

I don't order rack servers with optical disk readers that I'll only be
using once to install the OS, so all the stuff I build is installed from
USB disc readers.  My initial response was "how can we not know there's
a CD reader when I just booted and read the installer from it."

One of the 1st things sysinstall does is run a device scan
deviceGetAll(), but that misses the USB device, apparently.  The
deviceRescan() calls the same function, but preceeds it with deviceReset().

All this stuff is in src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/devices.c.  I'm not smart
enough to make my own install disks right now; what would happen if the
reset were inserted in front of the rescan (in main.c) at the beginning
of sysinstall execution?  That seems to be the only difference between
the initial scan and the "option" scan.