Supported SAS controllers (single port)

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:53:58 UTC 2010

On Dec 7, 2010, at 8:36 PM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 08/12/2010, at 3:51, Mike Andrews wrote:
>> On 12/7/2010 8:00 AM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a recommendation for one?
>>>
>>> I am looking to connect a LTO tape drive to a FreeBSD 7 or 8 box and I've only ever used Adaptec 19160 and similar cards and LVDS SCSI.
>>>
>>> Our supplier has an LSI SAS3081E-R which is not outrageously expensive, has anyone used one?
>>
>> Yes, I've got one, it works fine :)
>
> Ahh, good news, thanks :)
>
> Have you used it with a tape drive?
>
>> You may want to flash the non-raid firmware from LSI onto it.
>
> OK thanks.
>
> I just realised it doesn't have any external connectors so I'll have to find another candidate.
>
> However I do see the LSI spec sheet for it lists the chip which is listed in mpt(4) so I should be able to find something.

I have a LSI SAS3801E (note lack of -R suffix) in a FreeBSD 8 box that is hooked up to a Quantum SuperLoader LTO-4 tape drive.  It's not in production yet, and I haven't done extensive testing, but so far it probes the tape drive and autochanger correctly.

The LSI SAS3801E itself attaches as a mpt device.  It has two external connectors but no internal ones.

I had intended to use an Areca ARC-1300-4X external SAS controller to drive this tape unit but, alas, I discovered that there is as yet no FreeBSD driver for that card. :-(

Cheers,

Paul.