FreeBSD 7 installs where FreeBSD 8 wont due to CD

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Tue Dec 7 09:03:58 UTC 2010

> If there's more than one CD device you'll get a prompt asking which to
> use.

...which is precisely what happens under 7.X

So, now that I have it installed, when I am logged into the machine
I have these devices in /dev:

crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  89  7 Dec 02:39 /dev/acd0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  90  7 Dec 02:39 /dev/acd0t01

Which does indeed look like a music CD is there! If I connect up
the iLO then I get this in dmesg:

ugen5.4: <HP> at usbus5
umass0: <Virtual CD-ROM> on usbus5
umass0:  8070i (ATAPI) over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
umass0:2:0:-1: Attached to scbus2
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0 (Not ready to ready change, medium may have changed)
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus2 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <HP Virtual DVD-ROM \\0000.0> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 1.000MB/s transfers
cd0: cd present [352624 x 2048 byte records]

and lo and behlod, in /dev we now have:

crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  89  7 Dec 02:39 /dev/acd0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  90  7 Dec 02:39 /dev/acd0t01
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 122  7 Dec 09:00 /dev/cd0

So, what I think is that somehow the sysinstall environment is not
seeing that USB CD. I am not too familiar with how booting up
to do an install works though - but I do know that the USB stack changed
in 8 (and I have had probnlems booting USB sticks too since then as
they dont seem to find root, as the drive is only detected somewhat later
in the process).

Anything else I can do to diagnose this ? Is there a way inside the install
environment to see what the kernel has detected and created in /dev ?

-pete.