FreeBSD 7 installs where FreeBSD 8 wont due to CD

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Mon Dec 6 23:52:31 UTC 2010

> This problem has been reported many times in the past and almost
> certainly has nothing to do with 8.x.  Here's a thread about the matter
> where a user states the same as you but about 7.1:

I found that - it appears to be a different problem because....

> I would question 1) the burning software you used, and 2) the physical
> media you used.  Also try burning the ISO to another disc (even if of

....I am not burning a CD or using any physical media. I am booting
directly off the image file using iLO. Hence the stuff in that thread
doesnt apply. It's defintely 8 specific - I can boot an mage
from 7 it works fine, but 8 doesn't.

I think this is to do with USB now - the machine has a physical
drive as well (acd0) - is it possible that the installer sees
that, but not the USB connected drive ? So it tries that drive
instead, which would produce the error message in question, just
as if there was corrupt physical media [Indeed, the physical drive
may well contain an Audio CD - I have no idea what the guys in the
data centre might have put in it]

I can't really do this physically - I'm in London and the server is
somewhere in Louisiana, USA. Makes it hard to diagnose things.

-pete.