zfs sharenfs with multiple hosts/networks and options

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Wed Aug 25 08:24:18 UTC 2010

On 25.08.2010, at 10:03, Marco van Tol wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:47:13AM +0200, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> with traditional /etc/exports i can do
>>
>> /export/linux/root	-ro		xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24
>> /export/linux/root	-maproot=0	xxx.xxx.xxx.1
>>
>> How can i do this using zfs's sharenfs option?
>>
>> When i try
>>
>> zfs set sharenfs="-ro -network xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24,-maproot=0 xxx.xxx.xxx.1" data/linux/root
>>
>> /var/log/messages shows "network/host conflict" and "bad exports list line.
>>
>> The general problem seems to be that with each "zfs set sharenfs" command, the corresponding in /etc/zfs/exports gets overwritten.
>>
>> Is there a workaround for this besides ignoring sharenfs and using hand edited /etc/exports?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>
> In december '09 I started a thread about it in freebsd-fs at .
> Subject: zfs sharenfs to multiple subnets - found a dirty looking hack
>
> I found a dirty hack to do what you need there.  Not sure there is a
> more elegant way to do it already, would be nice.
>
> Marco

I already found your hack (after starting this thread) and it does work. However, when i then use zfs to create a descendant filesystem, things go wrong because when inheriting the sharenfs property from the parent, zfs does not adjust the mountpoint that i used in the hack. Similar problems will probably arise if one choses to change the mountpoint of the filesystem afterwards.

Thanks anyway for the hint!

-Heinrich