Watchdog not being disabled while dumping core

Xin LI delphij at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 11:37:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> PR bin/145183, opened in 2010 (not sure if this is the same):
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/145183

Speaking for this I think we can do it by issuing an explicit
watchdog(8) command on shutdown (like, set the timeout to several
minutes) in /etc/rc.d/watchdog's shutdown section.  This would be
trivial to implement.  Additionally, I'd personally think init(8)
should be taught about watchdog facility.

For panics, I think we should have the disk driver to "pat" watchdog
rather than disabling it in their write success callback?  Another
thing is that ddb should be able to disable watchdog when it's waiting
for keyboard input (or received first user input) I think.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net> http://www.delphij.net