ichwd causes freeze instead of reset

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sat Aug 21 20:52:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

somewhat foolishly, I activated watchdogd and ichwd on a remote box, and while testing it (by suspending watchdogd), apparently the watchdog triggered.  But instead of resetting, the machine does not react anymore on the serial console.  I will have to wait until Monday to get physical access, so it might be hanging or just switched itself off; I have no way of telling right now.

ichwd probes as:
ichwd0: <Intel ICH7 watchdog timer> on isa0
ichwd0: Intel ICH7 watchdog timer (ICH7 or equivalent)
ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range

(not sure why ppc0 is getting involved at that point.)

FreeBSD lokschuppen.zs64.net 8.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #30: Thu Jul 15 12:58:20 UTC 2010     root at lokschuppen.zs64.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/EISENBOOT  amd64

Once the box is up again, is it worthwile trying ichwd again, should I try and use SW_WATCHDOG, or forget about it?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811