ROOT MOUNT ERROR when booting from zfs

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Thu Aug 19 17:46:27 UTC 2010

On 19.08.2010, at 17:24, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:33:11 +0200
> Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i am getting the error message in $subject when trying to boot from zfs.
>> I followed the instructions found in:
>>
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror
>>
>> Before posting all config details and asking what i might have done wrong: Is there any possibility to get a more detailed error message than just ROOT MOUNT ERROR? e.g. zpool not found | zpool could not be imported | illegal mount options | etc
>
> You have tried verbose boot?
> If not, try it and see if you get more information.
> --
> Regards,
> Torfinn Ingolfsen

Yes, i have tried. I did get a flurry of information, but nothing related to the kernel not being able to mount the root fs.
In the meanwhile, i have redone the installation and for some reason it is working now. Probably the pool cache was missing.. :-)

Now i have another problem:

The root fs on on a 4-disk zfs mirror. I am testing under VMware fusion using virtual scsi disks. In order to test redundancy, i removed the first disk and booting failed. The loader reports:

error 1 lba 32
error 1 lba 1
error 1 lba 32
error 1 lba 1
error 1 lba 32
error 1 lba 1
error 1 lba 32
error 1 lba 1
No ZFS pools located, can't boot

If i remove any other of the 3 disks instead, booting works fine. Is the pool's configuration only stored on the first disk? Do i have to replicate it to the other disks by hand?

-Heinrich