Soekris Sysinstall FTP & NFS Failure

Benjamin Francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 20:27:45 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I have a Soekris net5501, and need some assistance with the installation
[FreeBSD 8.1].  I've configured a PXE environment with TFTP, and NFS, and I
can boot and get into sysinstall.  After going through the initial
configuration, slices, setting the IP address (DHCP), and proceeding with an
FTP installation, it fails.  It's like it cannot see the ftp site.  I've
also tried NFS with the same problem.

         lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq Message qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
         xInstallation completed with some errors.  You may wish to   x
         xscroll through the debugging messages on VTY1 with the      x
         xscroll-lock feature.  You can also choose "No" at the next  x
         xprompt and go back into the installation menus to retry     x
         xwhichever operations have failed.                           x
         tqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq(100%)qqu
         x                        [  OK  ]                            x
         mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq[ Press enter or space ]qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

I have confirmed that FTP and NFS are both working.

Since this is a headless serial connection, and I can't see what VTY1 says,
what would the best way to diagnose this be?  Is there a way to redirect the
output somewhere?

Thanks,
-Ben

--