STABLE kernel panic: privileged instruction fault

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:31:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:21:15PM +0400, Alexey Tarasov wrote:
> Hello Kostik!
>
> On Aug 16, 2010, at 10:48 PM, Kostik Belousov wrote:
>

> > The backtrace make absolutely no sense. I would not trust kgdb anyway.
> >
> > Compile ddb in and do backtrace in console on the panic. Also, disassemble
> > the kernel at the fault address. I am very curious which instruction causes
> > this. This is stock GENERIC on the bare metal booted, right ?
>
> Yes, stock GENERIC.
>
> Please, check this out:
>
> Dump of assembler code from 0xffffff0060c0b700 to 0xffffff0060c0b780:

Would be nice if you keep all requested data in one place, so that
we do not need to search for the old mails to see the context.

According to your previous mail, the fault happen at the
address
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xffffff8040d2cc83
Your disassembled the stack instead. Please just do
disass 0xffffff8040d2cc83,0xffffff8040d2cca0
in kgdb.

But also, I want to see the backtrace and disassembly output from ddb.