[CFT] [sys/conf/newvers.sh] Cleanup and additions.

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Aug 11 07:47:32 UTC 2010

jhell <jhell at dataix.net> wrote:
 > Based on the parts of the script with the additions for tracking source
 > using git(1) I set out to add support for mercurial hg(1) and ended up
 > cleaning some of the script while making some of those additions.
 > [...]
 > I have opened a PR: misc/149510 here: http://bit.ly/buBqXc

Just out of curiosity, why are you obfuscating this if statement?

-if [ ! -r version ]
-then
-        echo 0 > version
-fi
+[ ! -r version ] && echo 0 >version

It should rather be fixed like this (FreeBSD standard is to put
if...then on one line):

-if [ ! -r version ]
-then
+if [ ! -r version ]; then

On a tangential note ...  I've been using a wrapper script
for "make kernel" for ages, long before svn existed.  It
adds the date of the checked-out sources to the release name,
e.g. uname -rsm gives "FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE-20100720 i386"
on this machine.

http://people.freebsd.org/~olli/scripts/makekernel

Best regards
   Oliver

"We will perhaps eventually be writing only small modules which are identi-
fied by name as they are used to build larger ones, so that devices like
indentation, rather than delimiters, might become feasible for expressing
local structure in the source language." -- Donald E. Knuth, 1974