[CFT] [sys/conf/newvers.sh] Cleanup and additions.

jhell jhell at dataix.net
Wed Aug 11 00:34:22 UTC 2010

On 08/10/2010 19:32, Anonymous wrote:
> jhell <jhell at dataix.net> writes:
>
>>  * Adjust the paths that are checked for binaries to be of only
>> /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin. "/bin" is highly unlikely to hold svn(1),
>> git(1) or hg(1).
>
> Please, look at conf/146828. That script shouldn't blindly assume where
> user installs his packages[1].
>
> [1] using non-default LOCALBASE is a convenient way to identify
>     non-conforming ports

And that would be to identify non-conforming ports using non-standard
locations. Though the option is available to look in a non-standard
location for binaries, IMHO it does not belong here and I don't find
that right for building world. I also find this method a little hard to
adjust for targeting specific locations, for example if the base system
finally had a svnversion(1) installed and we prefered that over use of a
local installed port. Currently I can just subtract that path from any
one of the given SCM's configured to work with this patch without
effecting the others.

I have had another idea along the likes of this but just throwing an
entry point hook in that checks for the existence of a user built or
supplied file if you will so newvers.sh can keep doing what it has been
doing for all these years without the interruption for small changes
like the ones were talking about now. If people are interested in
something like this I would be more than happy to oblige and provide a
patch to do just that.

>> +                                gitsvnid="`$git log |fgrep 'git-svn-id:' |head -1 |\
>> +                                sed -n 's/^.*@\([0-9][0-9]*\).*$/\1/p'`"
>
> The above line can be sed-only. A few parts can be simplified, too.

I agree with this. I had just copied it over from what was already
existing and excepted by the original committee and whoever reviewed it.

I will adjust the patch for the sed(1) portion of this but I would
prefer to wait for further comments from the lists before adjusting the
search paths to use a function and look in a non-standard place.

I also meant to CC dougb@ on this as I believe he had something to do
with the original commits of the git(1) portions and possibly other parts.

Thank you for following up with me on this.

Regards,

--

 jhell,v