8-STABLE Slow Write Speeds on ESXI 4.0

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 9 15:24:16 UTC 2010

On 9.8.2010 17:12, Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 9 August 2010 16:55, Joshua Boyd <boydjd at jbip.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> I'm going to try 7.3-RELEASE today, just to make sure that this isn't a
>> regression of some kind. It seems from reading other posts that this used to
>> work properly and satisfactorily.
>
> Nope, I've been messing around with VMWare for a long time and the
> performance penalty was always there.

Hmmm, I've been thinking a little and after retesting one of my guests
on a 12-drive RAID-6 HP FC enclosure, and your 40 MB/s writes actually
do seam slow. I'm getting around 110 MB/s sequential reads and writes
(untuned) and the guest controller is recognized as:

mpt0: <LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter> port 0x1400-0x14ff mem
0xd8820000-0xd883ffff,0xd8800000-0xd881ffff irq 17 at device 16.0 on pci0
mpt0: [ITHREAD]
mpt0: MPI Version=1.2.0.0

on 7.3-release, i386, ESXi 4.0.

Are you sure you are testing when no others guests generate IO?