Dumpdev issue in 6.4-STABLE

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Aug 6 22:31:32 UTC 2010

Mark Saad wrote:

 > > wrote:
 > > > I then set in /boot/loader.conf
 > > >
 > > > dumpdev="/dev/da0s1b"
 > >
 > > On 8-STABLE dumpdev should be defined in rc.conf(5).
 > > Not sure about
 > > 6-STABLE offhand.
 >
 > The box dies before init is started so dumpdev in rc.conf is pointless.

I'm afraid you can't set dumpdev from the loader.

In ancient times it was possible to hardcode the dumpdev
via the kernel configuration, but that option is long
gone, AFAIK.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I started using PostgreSQL around a month ago, and the feeling is
similar to the switch from Linux to FreeBSD in '96 -- 'wow!'."
        -- Oddbjorn Steffensen