Please join us for Bugathon #7, this weekend (6th-9th August)

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 5 21:33:54 UTC 2010

(bcc'd to freebsd-stable@, please reply to freebsd-current@)

Hi all,

Apologies for the late notice, but the bug team will be holding a bugathon
this weekend.  We'll be starting on Friday 6th, and continuing through
Monday 9th, and the aim is to put a real effort into getting patches from
PRs into a committable state, and get them committed.  Some PRs will be
invalid because either the bug no longer exists or was fixed without the
PR being closed, identifying these is also of great benefit.

The basic plan is to get as many volunteers and committers into the same
place (#freebsd-bugbusters on EFnet), and work through some PRs.  For this
particular bugathon, we're planning on focusing on the ~1600 PRs which
contain patches.  Committers can help by being in the channel and
available to review patches and commit them, but these events benefit
especially from volunteers who are not committers:  the more people who
are able to look at PRs, evalaute the patches, and assess whether the
patches are correct and/or the best solution to the problem, the better.
If you've never been more than a user of FreeBSD then this is a great way
to start to get involved - many of the bugs in the database are relatively
simple to fix, and are just waiting for somebody with enough time to sit
down and actually take a close look at the bugs.  If you're able to
evaluate patches and actually justify why the patch included is the
correct solution then that is a huge help, too!

So, please join us in #freebsd-bugbusters if you are free at any point
over the weekend.  I'll be in the channel pretty much all the time during
the day (GMT) Friday - Monday, and other bugbusters/bugmeisters will be
around over those four days too.  Everybody is welcome to join us, the
more eyes the better.  We should hhopefully ave quite a few committers in
the channel too, so there should be plenty of expertise available to
review and commit the patches that are in a committable state.

There are several wiki pages available for people who are interested
in joining in, especially:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/Bugathons/2010August
http://wiki.freebsd.org/Bugathons/PRsWithPatches
http://wiki.freebsd.org/BugBusting/Resources