8.1 stable ar9285 ath0 problem

Kurt Jaeger pi at opsec.eu
Thu Aug 5 20:36:42 UTC 2010

Hi!

> Can you show me your config files: rc.conf, /boot/loader.conf,
> wpa_supplicant.conf. I just want to see just to make sure I'm not doing it
> wrong.

I use the stuff in a different way (mostly manually).

For example:

Step 1)

ifconfig wlan0 up

Wait a little and check:

ifconfig wlan0 list scan

If there's no SSID listed, wait until one comes up.

Step 2)
wpa_supplicant -d -d -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa-psk.conf

with /etc/wpa-psk.conf:

-----------
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
# home network; allow all valid ciphers
network={
    ssid="correct-ssid"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    psk="correct-psk"
}

-----------

Step 3)
dhclient wlan0

Now one should be able to connect to the wlan.

> I'm using my card on a network that uses WPA-PSK. My card can scan
> for APs and associate with the chosen AP, but 'dhclient wlan0' will not get
> an IP address! How is that possible.

First wpa_supp*, then dhclient. wpa* provides the crypto so that
dhclient gets the DHCP packets.

> And when I do 'ifconfig' it shows that
> the card is associated but the ip address part reads 'inet: 0.0.0.0'.

Well, that's a start.

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                        10 years to go !