Kernel symbol file alternate location

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Thu Aug 5 14:39:50 UTC 2010

Quoth Daniel O'Connor on Thursday, 05 August 2010:
> Is it possible to tell installkernel to put the symbol files elsewhere?
>
> IMO somewhere in /usr would be good - you don't need them to boot (or crashdump, etc) and they increase the size of the kernel by a factor of 5(!), eg..
> [cain 14:07] /tmp >du -sh kernel
> 258M    kernel
> [cain 14:07] /tmp >rm -f kernel/*.symbols
> [cain 14:07] /tmp >du -sh kernel
>  50M    kernel
>
> One downside is that you need to keep them in sync which is a bit of a drag, however I think most people use installworld for upgrades/builds so it would generally not be an issue.
>
> I think this is the main reason / has had to grow - the actual kernel is relatively small so even a 256Mb / could hold several, but with the symbol files it is not possible.
>
> I don't have patches to do this though :)
>
> --
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>   -- Andrew Tanenbaum
> GPG Fingerprint - 5596 B766 97C0 0E94 4347 295E E593 DC20 7B3F CE8C

+1 to this idea.  I'm currently building without symbols so I don't have
to clean them out of kernel.old every time I do an installkernel.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com