em JumboFrame improovement and PCIe addon-card regression [Was: Re: em regression, UDP LOR followed by ssh stall]

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Fri Apr 16 20:42:09 UTC 2010

Jack Vogel schrieb am 16.04.2010 22:02 (localtime):
> Glad things are better. On the Hartwell, the 0x10D3 adapter, what is the
> problem you are seeing?
> I just did an MFC, would ask that you try that code, see if it changes
> anything.

With latest MFCs I see em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 7.0.5>
  but still this LOR:
login: lock order reversal:
  1st 0xffffff00015d4418 em0:rx(1) (em0:rx(1)) @
/usr/src/sys/dev/e1000/if_em.c:1514
  2nd 0xffffffff8093f108 udp (udp) @ /usr/src/sys/netinet/udp_usrreq.c:474
KDB: stack backtrace:
db_trace_self_wrapper() at db_trace_self_wrapper+0x2a
_witness_debugger() at _witness_debugger+0x49
witness_checkorder() at witness_checkorder+0x7ea
_rw_rlock() at _rw_rlock+0x58
udp_input() at udp_input+0x1cd
ip_input() at ip_input+0xb3
netisr_dispatch_src() at netisr_dispatch_src+0x9e
ether_demux() at ether_demux+0x176
ether_input() at ether_input+0x176
em_rxeof() at em_rxeof+0x166
em_msix_rx() at em_msix_rx+0x42
intr_event_execute_handlers() at intr_event_execute_handlers+0x67
ithread_loop() at ithread_loop+0xae
fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x12a
fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0xe
--- trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xffffff8075504d30, rbp = 0 ---

Is it worth mentioning that I compiled in ZERO_COPY_SOCKETS?

So far I couldn't see any SSH session stall anymore. That was my proplem
after updating today, before the latest 7.0.0->7.0.5 change.

I'll come back if I can see anything going suboptimal regarding "hartwell"

Also the em1 (PRO/1000 Legacy Network Connection 1.0.1, pciconf device
82541EI):
em1: Watchdog timeout -- resetting
is solved/gone/vanished :)

Thanks! (why doesn't 'pciconf -lv' show a "device" entry for Hartwell?)

But I also have to tell that enabling jumbo frames is a big performance
degradation with SMB downloads. Uploads completely hang. With RELENG_8,
6 weeks ago, I could manage to get 75MB/s transfers to my windows SR2600
servers, MTU9014 and FreeBSD MTU1500, untuned Samba 3.3.10.

Today, after updating RELENG_8 with unchanged samba, jumbo frames
enabled (mtu 9000 on FreeBSD), downloading via CIFS was half the
transfer rate and uploading almost completely stalled.
Will see to track down the "upload" problem. So far, jumbo frames at
least work with ICMP payloads up to 8972 bytes, but enabling still is a
tranfer rate regression.

Thanks,

-Harry