Results of BIND RFC

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Apr 2 10:28:38 UTC 2010

> [1]: FreeBSD really needs to move away from the "base system" as a
> concept, as I've ranted about in the past.

Strongly disagree.

> Or if it cannot, the "base
> system" needs to start using pkg_* (somehow) for use, and src.conf
> WITHOUT_xxx (where xxx = some software) removed.  Concept being: "I
> don't need Kerberos; pkg_delete base-krb5.  I also don't need lib32;
> pkg_delete base-lib32".  Beautiful concept, hard to implement due to
> libraries being yanked out from underneathe binaries that are linked to
> them.  But you get the idea.

This *might* be workable. However, in general - a large part of the
reason why I use FreeBSD is that the FreeBSD base system gives me
most of what I want, in *one* well defined chunk, *without* having
to install a zillion extra packages, and without umpteen different
versions of config files and locations for the important information.

So please don't destroy this.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no