PATA disks/DVD not detected on ATI IXP 700 - cannot boot (dmesg attached)

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 30 07:19:39 UTC 2009

Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Monday 28 September 2009 02:21 pm, Alexander Motin wrote:
>> PS: I have tried to disable all that ATI-specific code and found
>> that both legacy PCI ATA and AHCI drivers looks like working fine
>> with IXP700. Do we really need AHCI forcing for IXP700?
>
> It enables all six SATA ports as SATA and one PATA channel as PATA in
> the combined mode by forcing the mode.  It is not absolutely
> necessary but it is better than without it, IMHO. :-)

As I have told, with or without this patch I am any way receiving 4 AHCI
channels + 2 PATA + 2 legacy SATA if IDE mode set in BIOS. If I enable
AHCI mode in BIOS I am receiving 6 AHCI + 2 PATA channels. Looks like
Dennis has the same. So 1) I don't see any effect of this hack on my
system, at least with HEAD (is it working?), and 2) if we are doing all
this magic and force AHCI mode for second controller, IMHO it would be
reasonable to enable real AHCI mode to get all 6 SATA channels there.

--
Alexander Motin