locate(1) ZFS addition

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 28 09:19:54 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 23:37 -0400, CmdLnKid wrote:
> I just came across what I believe to be just a oversight on locate(1). By
> default as stated in its locate.rc file in /etc it states that the default
> file systems that will be searched is "ufs ext2fs". Would it be wise to have the
> default be "ufs zfs xfs ext2fs" ? or some other combination.

It appears to be a little more confused than that.  In 8.x and 7.2, the
list of filesystems that are actually searched are "ufs ext2fs zfs".
The comment in the default /etc/locate.rc lists those, and also xfs.

The real problem seems to be that /etc/locate.rc seems to be missed by
mergemaster, and so updates to it aren't being picked up.  However, from
a quick inspection, I can't see why.

I think it would be a good idea to file a PR so that this doesn't get
lost.

Gavin