problem with link aggregation failover

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Sun Sep 27 14:07:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:

> On Sat, 12.09.2009 at 22:34:41 +0200, Maciej Jan Broniarz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to configure lagg failover mode on 7.2.
>>
>> I do:
>>
>> # ifconfig xl0 up
>> # ifconfig fxp0 up
>> # ifconfig lagg0 create
>> # ifconfig lagg0 up laggproto failover laggport xl0 laggport fxp0
>> # dhclient lagg0
>>
>> And all seems to work ok. Still I disconnect the cable from the master card the connection stops.
>> Although fxp0 becomes active the connection is still dead. If I start pinging any host from that machine
>> the conection comes back to live, but having ping in background all the time is not the solution.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or have I missed something in the configuration?
>
> Well, where is xl0 and fxp0 connected to? My first bet would be a
> standard switch, if so try setting both devices to the same MAC address.
> Otherwise the peers you connect to will send the IP packets to the wrong
> MAC address and only after a timeout (or a forced push thanks to the
> ping) will get their ARP cache into shape.

lagg should automatically make xl0 and fxp0 appear at the same MAC
address.  The only time you should have to manually set the MAC
address would be on cloned interfaces such as wlan, because the
cloned interfaces don't propagate the MAC change down to the
interface from which they were cloned.

--
DE