8-RC1: iwn0 suspend/resume issues

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Sun Sep 27 11:19:25 UTC 2009

Threading broken to avoid potential takover of ral0 thread.

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 02:33:26AM +0000, Brandon Gooch wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Scott Lambert <lambert at lambertfam.org> wrote:
> > iwn does not function after resume so I've actually run ethernet cables
> > to where I use the laptop now.
>
> I have to unload the if_iwn module on suspend, and reload it on resume
> (via /etc/rc.[suspend|resume], of course).
>
> Have you tried that?

I am glad to hear that it works for somebody.  There is hope!  I have:

 kldunload if_iwn

in /etc/rc.suspend and:

 kldload if_iwn

in /etc/rc.resume.

On resume there are lots of

iwn0: iwn_mem_lock: could not lock memory

and

iwn0: iwn_transfer_microcode: could not load boot firmware
iwn0: iwn_transfer_firmware: could not load boot firmware, error 60
iwn0: iwn_init_locked: could not load firmware, error 60

I did just notice:

iwn0: Reg Domain: \M^?\M^?\M^?\M^?iwn0: iwn_mem_lock: could not lock memory

Maybe I should set the regulatory domain?  But having just spent a few
minutes trying, it doesn't seem to be interested...

lambert at slambert:~> sudo ifconfig wlan0 regdomain FCC
ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Device busy
Exit 1
lambert at slambert:~> sudo ifconfig iwn0 regdomain FCC
ifconfig: unable to get regulatory domain info: Invalid argument
Exit 1

Same result with the other regulatory domains.  Maybe iwn just doesn't
support it?

lambert at slambert:~> sudo ifconfig wlan0 list regdomain
:regdomain 0 country US anywhere -ecm

  http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/laptop/TravelMate_5720-6911

has my rc.[suspend|resume] and dmesg.[boot|resume] showing the
issues.  Other stuff in there that might be relevant too, if anyone is
interested.

lambert at lambertfam.org