8.0-RC1 panic attaching ppc

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Sep 24 05:25:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Attilio Rao wrote:
> 2009/9/23 Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>:
> > If I enable the parallel port on this Gigabyte MA7785GM-US2H I get
> > a trap 12 when booting up.
> >
> > I forgot to take a picture of it at the time but I should be able
> > to reproduce it tomorrow.
> >
> > Has anyone seen anything before? (a quick google showed nothing). I
> > did not see it on 7.2(ish) on the same hardware.
>
> Are you able to enable KDB in your kernel config and return a
> backtrace here?

Yes, here it is..

pmap_extract() at pmap_extract+0x13a
isa_dmarangecheck() at isa_dmarangecheck+0x7a
isa_dma_init() at isa_dma_init+0xda
ppc_isa_attach() at ppc_sa_attach+0x40
device_attach() at device_attach+0x69
bus_generic_attach() at bus_generic_attach+0x1a
acpi_attach() at acpi_attach+0x9f8

(there's more but I imagine the above is probably sufficient).

I took pictures, they are here
http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/SNC00111.jpg
http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/SNC00112.jpg

If I put the parallel port in EPP mode then it works, I presume that's
because it doesn't require a DMA channel whereas ECP doesn't. I haven't
enumerated the possibilities though :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum