PATA disks/DVD not detected on ATI IXP 700 - cannot boot (dmesg attached)

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 21 16:39:42 UTC 2009

On Friday 18 September 2009 11:52 pm, Ted Faber wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 09:13:27AM -0700, Ted Faber wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm trying to upgrade a machine to a new motherboard (the ECS
> > A790GXM-AD3 AM3 790GX) my FreeBSD 7-STABLE system (GENERIC
> > kernel, compiled from source on 10 Sept 2009) reaches the point
> > where it's going to mount the root file system and can't find the
> > disk.  It drops me into the manual specification of root file
> > system menu, but there are no GEOM-managed disks to choose from.
>
> [...]
>
> I managed to boot FreeBSD on this motherboard using a USB key.
> Attached is the dmesg from a verbose boot.  Any help would be
> appreciated.

This is a known problem and should be fixed in 8.0.  Sorry, I haven't
had time to back-port the code.  Proabably it's good time to consider
testing 8.0-RC1. ;-)

Jung-uk Kim