How to enable CPU turbo mode on FreeBSD?

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at pldrouin.net
Fri Sep 11 15:45:49 UTC 2009

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday 10 September 2009 8:57:32 pm Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an overclocked i7 920 CPU for which I have enabled Turbo Mode in
>> the BIOS (21x multiplier). The base clock is set at 190 MHz, so the CPU
>> frequency with Turbo mode activated should be 3990 MHz. However the
>> maximum value FreeBSD amd64 shows for the CPU frequency in dmesg and
>> sysctl is 3790 MHz. How can I enable the Turbo Mode?
>>
>> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz (3790.52-MHz
>> K8-class CPU)
>>
>> machdep.acpi_timer_freq: 3579545
>> machdep.tsc_freq: 3790522507
>> machdep.i8254_freq: 1193182
>> dev.cpu.0.freq: 349
>> dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2793/130000 2443/113750 2094/97500 1745/81250
>> 1396/65000 1047/48750 698/32500 349/16250
>>

> You have to enable C2/C3 sleep states (possibly in your BIOS).  However,
> FreeBD doesn't currently handle this but so well since that will probably
> turn off the local APIC timer interrupt when the CPU is idle causing FreeBSD
> to miss clock interrupts.

Sorry I am not sure exactly what you are referring to. Do you mean that
I need to enable C2/C3 states in order to have the correct max CPU freq
value displayed at boot time/in sysctl, or you mean that I need these
states in order to be able to use the Turbo Mode at all? Right now in
the BIOS I had the following features disabled to test the overclocking
(I was following what is recommended to do for Windows users to run
stress tests):

-Intel SpeedStep: Use this function to enable the Intel SpeedStep
technology (EIST)
-CxE Function: This function allows you to select the lowest C state
supported according as CPU and MB. The options are Auto, Disabled, C1,
C1E, C3 and C6

Thanks!