8.0-B4 gstripe / GEOM_PART_* upgrade woes

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 11 10:21:49 UTC 2009

Stephen Hurd wrote:
> I've upgraded from 7.2-RELEASE_p2 to 8.0-BETA4 and using GEOM_PART_*
> with my sliced gstripe array causes the /dev/stripe/raid0a to disappear
> and the reset of the /dev/stripe/raid0[a-z] file systems to be unmountable.
>
> My gvinum array is still working fine and, after chasing the ad* slices,
> they can be mounted as well.  It's just the gstripe slices which are
> corrupt/missing.

Ouch.

> GEOM_STRIPE: Device raid0 created (id=40432321).
> GEOM_STRIPE: Disk da0s2 attached to raid0.
> GEOM_STRIPE: Disk da1s2 attached to raid0.
> GEOM_STRIPE: Disk da2s2 attached to raid0.
> GEOM_STRIPE: Disk da3s2 attached to raid0.
> GEOM_STRIPE: Device raid0 activated.
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
> <<111188>C>aCna'tn 'stta ts t/atd e/vd/aedv0s/1sgt:ri pNeo/ rsuacidh0
> af:i lNeo  sour directory
> =========== END OF dmesg ===========
>
> =========== gstripe list ===========
> Geom name: raid0
> State: UP
> Type: AUTOMATIC
> Stripesize: 262144
> ID: 40432321
> Providers:
> 1. Name: stripe/raid0
>   Mediasize: 42934992896 (40G)
>   Sectorsize: 512
>   Mode: r0w0e0
> Consumers:
> 1. Name: da0s2
>   Mediasize: 10733990400 (10G)
>   Sectorsize: 512
>   Mode: r0w0e0
>   Number: 0
> 2. Name: da1s2
>   Mediasize: 10733990400 (10G)
>   Sectorsize: 512
>   Mode: r0w0e0
>   Number: 1
> 3. Name: da2s2
>   Mediasize: 10733990400 (10G)
>   Sectorsize: 512
>   Mode: r0w0e0
>   Number: 2
> 4. Name: da3s2
>   Mediasize: 10733990400 (10G)
>   Sectorsize: 512
>   Mode: r0w0e0
>   Number: 3
> =========== END OF gstripe list ===========
>
> =========== gstripe status ===========
>        Name  Status  Components
> stripe/raid0      UP  da0s2
>                      da1s2
>                      da2s2
>                      da3s2
> =========== END OF gstripe status ===========

 > When I build without GEOM_PART_* and use GEOM_BSD and GEOM_MBR, it works
 > fine.

An interesting problem. I presume that in either case (gpart or
GEOM_BSD/MBR) the output of "gstripe status" is the same? Only the
interpretation of the partition tables is problematic?

What is the expected ("good") structure of the partitions/file systems?
Do you have a single MBR partition and inside it multiple BSD
partitions? What are their partition types?