Avahi compilation help needed

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Thu Sep 10 14:37:57 UTC 2009

Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2009-09-10 14:06, Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to compile Avahi-0.6.25 (http://avahi.org/) on FreeBSD 7.2
>> (i386) [in fact, on Tomahawk Desktop]. It develops compilation errors.
>>

> Any reason why you don't use the net/avahi port instead?  This will save
> you most compilation and installation headaches.

Tomahawk Desktop uses FreeBSD sources, it is not based on the FreeBSD distribution. It doesn't have a port system. Tomahawk Desktop is designed everything to be installed simply by "./configure, [g]make, [g]make install" which FreeBSD is not designed to support. In Tomahawk Desktop, anything you compile and install, can be cleanly uninstalled without any file left out, which is not possible in FreeBSD. Here "compile and install" means you take a package, unpack, make and make install, that's it. You don't have wait until somebody prepare a port for you.

Coming back to our problem, Avahi get compile errors on FreeBSD when its original build system is used. We need a help. Appreciate if somebody could give it a try to just compile (ie. download the package, unpack, ./configure and gmake).

Kind regards
Sagara