incorrect usleep/select delays with HZ > 2500

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 9 20:42:13 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 4:32:16 pm Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 01:24:53PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
returns
> > measurement
> > USB
> > >
> > > Thanks, will try tomorrow.
> > > Would this explain the measurement becomes better as we get
> > > further into the initialization, and why high HZ values affect
> > > the measurement ?
> >
> > It would explain why it gets better later since the uhci(4), ohci(4) and
> > ehci(4) drivers disable the SMI# interrupts while attaching to the
> > controllers.
>
> ok makes sense -- if the SMI interrupts last longer than 1/HZ
> they will cause us to miss one or more wraps of the i8254 in
> $ARCH/isa/clock.c::DELAY(). I suppose with a few measurements
> at different HZ values and some back of the envelope calculations
> one could even determine estimate the frequency and duration
> of those SMI interrupts!

On recent motherboards I have seen the SMI# interrupt fire every 250 ms with
execution times ranging from 50 us to 1ms for the legacy USB interrupt
handler.  We consistently see the TSC frequency miscalculated on the
motherboards with the 1ms duration interrupt.  I suspect that the clock that
drives the periodic SMI# interrupt is tied to the i8254 meaning that it often
fires at the same time that the i8254 wraps causing the TSC frequency to
often be wrong.

--
John Baldwin