zfs on gmirror slice

Emil Mikulic emikulic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 07:44:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 09:20:21AM +0200, Mark Stapper wrote:
> updating a zfs filesystem which you are running from is next to
> impossible.

[citation needed]  :)

> So, i would recommend setting up gmirror to mirror your whole disks,
> install the base system(boot and "world") on a small UFS slice, and use
> the rest of the disc as zfs slice.

As Thomas Backman pointed out, this means you won't get self-healing.

I don't know if a ZFS mirror performs smarter disk access scheduling
than gmirror.  Someone oughta measure.  ;)

I recommend you (Maciej) do what Freddie Cash said: slice your disks
into two pieces each - a gmirror'd UFS root, and the rest for ZFS.
(or work out how to zfsboot)

--Emil