8.0: glabel on a gjournaled FS is broken

Oliver Lehmann oliver at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 23 16:02:53 UTC 2009

Hi,

I updated my RC1 box now to the latest RELENG_8 code to get my gmirror
+glabel setup working.
Since gjournal was now supposed to work as well I set this up once more.
This was not so easy as I thought because cleaning the metadata on my
previously journaled filesystems (but not working because of the bug) was
a pain. With geom_journal.ko loaded at the boottime the system was not
able to boot up - waiting infinitly for the nonexisting journal to show
up spamming my screen with timeout messages. What a mess....
Finally I got the module disabled in the bootloader (I guess I'll never
ever compile this directly into the kernel if it can cause my system not
to come up again)

Now I have two partitions in a journaled state. What I did was:

gjournal load

gjournal label da0p1 mirror/gm0s1h
tunefs -J enable -n disable da0p1.journal

gjournal label mirror/gm0s1f mirror/gm0s1g
tunefs -J enable -n disable mirror/gm0s1f.journal

Then I rebooted into single user mode again to label the filesystems.
Then I did:

glabel label swap	mirror/gm0s1b
tunefs -L root		mirror/gm0s1a
tunefs -L var		mirror/gm0s1d
tunefs -L tmp		mirror/gm0s1e
tunefs -L usr		mirror/gm0s1f.journal
tunefs -L files		da0p1.journal

/dev/ufs and /dev/label contained all the given label. Then I rebooted
once more - again into the single user mode.

Now ufs/files and ufs/usr is gone.... so glabel in conjunction with
gjournal is broken....

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/