Any recommended Intel server motherboards?

Antony Mawer lists at mawer.org
Mon Oct 12 12:38:45 UTC 2009

The Intel boards all in all tend to be pretty well supported... we run
a number of S3200SHL boards (about to be EOL'd I believe) and older
S2000 series in production without any hitches. The basic Intel
soft-RAID on the entry level boards should be avoided (use gmirror or
similar if need be).

If you are looking at any of the boards with onboard SAS, this is
usually an LSI Logic based chipset (mfi driver from memory) and is
fine as far as RAID reliability goes (at least in our experience,
YMMV)...

-- Antony