samba - SIGABRT

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 8 18:05:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Daniel Eischen wrote:

>> While it's probably a bug that the Samba port compiles --pie, it's also a
>> bug that our linking bits aren't handling PIE properly either.  The goal is
>> to fix PIE with the non-NULL mapping feature in the immediate future, so
>> with any luck the abort message won't matter too much longer.
>
> How about reverting this change or defaulting security.bsd.map_at_zero=1
> until either ports can handle this properly or our -pie is fixed, and we've
> had at least a release with pre-built packages that don't have the problem?

Sorry, I should have been more clear: the problem is with run-time linking,
not compile-time linking.  Kostik has just posted patches for the run-time
linker to current@, which should allow the existing binaries to work with
map_at_zero=0.  If we aren't able to get the run-time linker fixes into 8.0,
we will definitely revert the default change for map_at_zero so that it is
enabled.  However, since there is a significant security benefit to shipping
with map_at_zero disabled, I think we should try hard to ship 8.0 with a fixed
rtld.

Robert