8.0-RELEASE completed...

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Nov 30 21:54:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 07:47:28PM +0000, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:30:18 -0800
> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>
> > 	{ One far, far OT question here: who can explain what dovecot
> > 	is/does? why it even exists?  I'm familiar with MTA's, like
> > 	sendmail; likewise with MUA's, like evo, kmail, and mutt.
> > 	It's time to learn another level of complexity, evidently....}
>
> Dovecot is an IMAP/POP3 server - sendmail lets you send mail, dovecot
> lets you fetch it from a remote server.

	Well, I gotta fess up and admit that I've been living in the
	past century for a long time!  Weren't these IMAP/POP servers
	originally for people to use their FreeBSD computers at home
	from their university [or work] accounts?  I had an IP from
	work for several years, then set up sendmail to deliver mail
	to my individual machines.  i really have let things slide
	since I went back to school; now it's time to get back on
	track.  For the past two years I've relied on one guy ... and
	until I am back up to par, if he should get hit by a bus, I'm
	up the creek.  --Thus all these recent questions... .

    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php