FreeBSD 7.x hang-on-boot on Dell 1950

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 02:09:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>wrote:

> > This 1950 may predate that a bit, but I'm not sure how to nail it down
> > exactly, other than by it's hardware components.  Anyways, 7.0 does the
> same
> > thing --- still wedged.
>
> I haven't seen anyone recommend this as a test method yet -- disabling
> fdc prior to the kernel booting via the loader prompt:
>
> - Press 6 at the menu,
> - At the loader prompt, type:
>
>  set hint.fdc.0.disabled="1"
>  boot -v   (or without -v; your choice)
>
> You shouldn't need to set hint.fd.0.disabled="1", since fd0 would
> normally bind to fdc0; disable the latter and you disable the lesser.
>
> The intention here is to rule out the device attachment failures from
> fdc as the source of the deadlock.

Entertainingly, it does not.  Aparently that hint doesn't stop the code from
trying to attach fdc0 when acpi says so.  I suppose I need to know the
console command to disable acpi and fdc.

but it still wedges at "device_attach: fdc0 attach returned 6" with the
above.